Saturday 8 February 2014

Naturist 2: Eastney


Eastney is my favourite naturist beach as it is the nearest official beach to me.  I live just inside West Sussex on the South Coast of England so Eastney, near Southsea, near Portsmouth, is less than 15 miles away.  There is a nearer beach at Hayling Island but it isn’t official so I’ve always been a little reluctant to try that one, I’m not a naked crusader by any means.  I just want to get my kit off outdoors without being hassled by The Man.

You can read more about Eastney here: http://nuff.org.uk/factfile/content/view/75/48/
Which tells you about the beach in the sort of detail I can’t be doing with, though is a little out of date on the Qinetiq situation (more later).  I will concentrate more on what the beach is like for normal people, like you and me, obviously.

I write previously (or if you are reading this in scrolling order, later on) about Brighton beach and how there was a certain level of “sexifiedness” to that naturist location which was sometimes a bit much to ignore.  Though I am sure there are issues at every naturist location, anywhere; it only takes one loser to ruin the ambience; Eastney is for more relaxed than Brighton in that regard.  Generally the users of the beach are more varied in age and gender than Brighton and I have never seen any particular examples of lewdness at Eastney.  That’s not to say it doesn't happen, I’m sure it does, but not so often.  The view from Eastney is marvellous so long as one is looking out to sea.  The Isle Of Wight is visible to the naked person’s naked eye and to the left we have the Hayling Island, more like a peninsular these days but it breaks the Solent up nicely.  To the right is Southsea, and if you want a traditional seaside experience with fruit machines, chips and lots of clothed holiday makers, just walk around a mile and a half in that direction.

The water is “lovely once you’re in”, honestly, wade in to about waste height and then dunk yourself.  Very refreshing!  The beach is mainly shingle with just a few sand patches and probably around the same length as Brighton nude beach.  There is some concern about swimming because of local currents but I have always stayed at around shoulder height when the tide is in and never had any problems, though waves can be quite boisterous and be prepared for a mouthful of salt-water if, like me, you are just an adequate swimmer.  We have enjoyed on occasion swimming up the beach and then walking back to our towels, hand in hand, the sea water drying off our naked bodies in the sunshine.

I don’t think I've ever chatted on Brighton beach apart from with the people I’m with but I have several times had conversations with people on Eastney, usually more senior ladies and gentlemen, with an opening gambit of how cold the water is! Unfortunately I am terrible at remembering names so any of you who have spoken to me, I’m very sorry for not name-checking you!  We are former British Naturist members (next blog is on this subject) so if you've ever used Eastney you may know us by our bright orange BN towels and my upper arm tattoos.  

There is parking very near Eastney beach with a walkway from the car-park to the beach which passes a campsite, so if you are coming from outside of the area, bring a tent.  You can’t miss the walk-way; it’s down the side of the monstrously ugly former MOD building which pretty much spans the whole length of the nude section.  Until relatively recently it was a case of “just face south” but then the site of the building was bought by QinetiQ.  Or they already owned it and decided to redevelope…This site tells the story better than me: http://www.eastneybeach.org.uk/

In a nutshell though, QinetiQ (Boo! Hiss!) are a British multinational defence technology company who have tried to bully the public in general and naturists in particular in to not using the beach.  I’m still not completely up with all the facts but whatever their ideas for the site they presumably thought lots of naked people enjoying the sun and sea within sight was not compatible with their plans. At one point they even employed security guards to try and prevent people from accessing the beach but it transpired that their remit only covered the walkway along the top of the beach, not most of the beach itself.  Or so I understand.  What I can say is that they have NOT stopped people going on to the beach, naked or otherwise and have not had much sympathy from Portsmouth City Council. Please do read the Eastney Beach site, people more dedicated than I have put a lot of work both in to the site and to the campaign.


Sadly, due to bloody awful weather I have not been to Eastney this year yet and only managed a couple of visits last year.  The photos I have posted below are from an earlier visit, I seem to have mislaid more recent pictures.  I know for a fact I lost the Calvin Klein sunglasses I am wearing in the pictures around 5 years ago so it was before then!  Due to tightened financial circumstances going far further than Eastney is difficult, not made easier by the fact that I don’t drive so have to persuade Wifey to take us anywhere I want to go.  Much as she has been happy to get ‘em off in my company, she has less of an interest in the naturist “lifestyle” than I and my view of myself is that I am not a nude campaigner but the average geezer who likes to disport in the altogether and tells it how it is to the average geezer.  The end of the week is looking quite nice… see you there perhaps?  We will continue to use Eastney until we are told not to and everybody else does.  




No comments:

Post a Comment